Whickham knocked out of League Cup by Guisborough Town

Whickham were knocked out of the Northern League Cup at the last 16 stage after a 4-1 defeat at home to Guisborough Town.

Charlie Marshall gave the visitors the lead, despite appearing to be offside, on nine minutes and the lead was doubled through Luke Nixon before the half-hour mark.

Shawn Spozio and Sonni Coleman both scored in the space of four minutes to put the Prioymen out of sight in the second-half.

Jamie Statt was brought down in the penalty area two minutes after Guisborough’s fourth goal and pulled one back, but it was just a consolation for the hosts, who were reduced to 10-men late in the game after George Lindo’s red card.

The Lang Jacks travel to promotion-chasing Hebburn Town at the weekend before hosting Guisborough again, in the league this time, next Wednesday evening.

Having picked up a win and a draw in their last two home games, Whickham came into the game with a bit of form behind them.

However, it was their opponents that started on the front foot. Guisborough almost took the lead inside the opening five minutes.

Jack Wilson was on hand to deny Nixon with his legs and Spozio fired the rebound over the bar. The latter drew a good save from the ‘keeper just minutes later.

Guisborough did take the lead in the ninth minute though, when Marshall, who looked a good few yards offside, fired into the bottom corner.

The first opening for the home side came in the 14th minute when Max Cowburn fired a free-kick under the wall and at the ‘keeper.

Just a minute after having a goal ruled out for offside, Town doubled their lead. Nixon picked up the ball and produced a great strike, leaving the ‘keeper helpless.

Whickham went close to pulling a goal back, just after the half-hour mark when Conor Newton burst into the box and struck at goal. The ‘keeper got a glove to the ball, which was cleared off the line.

Statt drew an excellent save from Ryan Catterick on 44 minutes and the hosts should’ve opened their account in the first minute of additional time.

The Lang Jacks broke out quickly from the back. Cowburn burst into the opposing half and it was a 3v1 situation for the hosts, but the final pass let the winger down as Statt was advancing through the middle.

Whickham came out after half-time and started the second-half on top. Inside the first minute of the half, Cowburn tested the ‘keeper low at his neat post before Charlie Exley fired inches over the bar.

Scott Robson couldn’t connect cleanly with his effort on 51 minutes, but the signs were there for the hosts that they could get back into the game.

Just before the hour mark, the Lang Jacks went agonisingly close to scoring. Wilson’s goal-kick sailed over the Guisborough back line, with the advancing Robson getting a toe to the ball ahead of the ‘keeper, but the ball went inches wide of the post.

The Priorymen had their third goal on 74 minutes when Coleman’s cross was controlled by the alert Spozio at the back post before turning the ball home.

Coleman got himself on the scoresheet four minutes later, after being denied by the ‘keeper after racing through one-on-one just two minutes prior.

It was the goal of the night as a cross was swung into the box, from the right side, and Coleman volleyed, on the turn, into the far corner of the net.

Two minutes later, Whickham were awarded a penalty after Statt was brought down in the penalty area. Catterick got a strong hand to the ball, which ended up nestling into the other corner of the net.

Statt almost got his second of the game just a minute later, but his low effort was cleared off the line by the Guisborough defender.

Whickham were forced to play the final stages of the game with 10-men when Lindo picked up his second booking of the game for a foul on halfway on 87 minutes.

Whickham: Wilson, McAndrew, Exley, Scothern (Cranston, 46), Galbraith (Howard, 67), Lindo, Cowburn (Collins, 87), Burrell, Statt, Newton, Robson

Sub Not Used: Bowey

Guisborough Town: Catterick, McAvoy, Robinson, Close, Marron, Rowbotham, Spozio (Newton, 84), Marshall, Nixon (Onions, 56), Coleman (Smithyman, 84), McNeill

Goals: 0-1, 9 mins, Marshall; 0-2, 26 mins, Nixon; 0-3, 74 min, Spozio; 0-4, 78 mins, Coleman; 1-4, 80 min, Statt (Pen)

Referee: Glen Hart

Assistants: Kieran Downey and Joe Pringle

Attendance: 96

Photo: Will Matthews