Whickham 1-2 Northallerton Town: Match report as visitors earn their Crust

Whickham crashed to a third defeat in a row after a disappointing display at the First Mortgage Glebe.

Dominating possession for most of the game – again – there was a lack of a cutting edge to the home side’s play as Northallerton made it six points out of six against the Glebemen this season.

It had all started brightly for Mark Convery’s side. having made a number of changes from the team that lost 3-2 against West Auckland on Saturday – Charlie Exley returned from injury in place of Lee McAndrew, Dale Burrell dropped into central defence with Jack Errington dropping to the bench, and Ross Peareth coming into centre midfield – there was some nice football in the first 20 minutes.

The bubble was soon popped though as the visitors took the lead with their first real chance. The impressive Ciaren Jackson latched onto a loose ball inside the right hand of the penalty box and fired past Regan Ward.

Whickham had seemed in control up to that point, however Jackson should have made it 2-0 minutes later, but flashed his shot across the face of goal after a good move in the inside right channel again.

The home side regained control. A counter-attack ended with Jack Robson finding Zak Atkinson, but he could only hit the side netting with his shot.

The closest the Lang Jacks came to a leveller was right on the half-time whistle. After another counter, this time from a Northallerton corner, Conor Newton was denied by the goalkeeper’s legs before Tom Howard screwed the rebound shot.

As the rain lashed down heavier and heavier, a strong start to the second period was needed, but Northallerton were by far the sharper side after the interval. They got the goal their play deserved after 54 minutes when a free-kick from the edge of the box was fired into the roof of the net by Matthew Crust.


Substitutions were made by Glebe boss Convery, with McAndrew, Tom Scothern and Declan Bisset all entering the fray, and briefly the home side looked sharper in attack, with Scott Robson causing problems and a couple of shots blocked.

But even after Exley pulled a goal back on 85 minutes, heading home Bisset’s well-flighted corner, the visitors never really seemed too troubled and comfortably saw the game out.

Next up for Whickham is a trip to Ryhope CW on Saturday, October 3.

Whickham: Ward, Howard, Exley, Glabraith, Burrell, Peareth (Scothern 62), Francis (Bissett 77), Newton, S Robson, Atkinson, J Robson (McAndrew 60). Subs not used: Errington, Bowey.


  1. The team need to start second halves quickly. For the second game in a row they lost the game in the first 10 minutes after the interval
  2. Charlie Exley’s return is a boost, the left-back adding another goal to his tally.
  3. For many home spectators, watching Newport County blaze a penalty high over the crossbar on their mobile phones turned out to be the highlight of the night!

Man of the match (sponsored by Furniture Clinic): Conor Newton

Match sponsor: The Woodmans Arms

Matchball sponsor: First Mortgage NE