Whickham 1-1 North Shields: Last minute goal denies Lang Jacks three hard-fought points

North Shields remain unbeaten in the league as last gasp equaliser ensures the spoils are split as Whickham are unable to hold on for their first win in three games.

The visitors were the more dominant side in the first-half, hitting the woodwork twice including a fine save from James Anderson onto the crossbar from a free-kick.

Whickham broke the deadlock in the 56th minute, with defender Ben Milburn grabbing his first goal for the club.

Despite chances to kill the game off for the hosts, the Red Robins came away with a point after a last minute goal from Dan Wilson.

Whickham came into the game with several players out including Jack Robson, Conor Newton and Robbie Williamson.

The visitors came the closest early on after only four minutes when Anderson had to dive across his goal line to tip the ball off the crossbar.

James Anderson’s acrobatic save

The Lang Jacks counter-attacking play seemed to split the North Shields defence and they had their first shot on target when George Priest was slipped in behind on the left-hand side but the ‘keeper denied the youngster’s shot with his legs.

The Red Robins nearly had the ball in the back of the net just before the break, with a scramble inside the Whickham area ending up with a header from close range somehow hitting the the underside of the bar before the ball was cleared to safety.

Mark Convery’s side came out in the second-half fighting with more attacking intent, which paid off in the 56th minute when Shields failed to clear their lines from a corner resulting in Milburn lashing the ball home from close range.

The home side nearly doubled their lead 11 minutes later when another threatening set-piece was met by the head of Kieran Galbraith who’s header was swept off the line.

Kieran Galbraith coming close to doubling the Lang Jacks lead

With all of the 90 played, North Shields burst down the other end after a Whickham attack before Wilson picked the ball up inside the area before curling the ball into the top corner to cause heartbreak for the hosts and elation for the visiting fans.

Next up is Northallerton at home on Saturday 18th November.

Starting XI (5-3-2): J. Anderson, T. Howard, G. Priest, K. Galbraith, B. Milburn, M. Hoganson, F. Martindale (R. Peareth, 63′), D. Burrell, A. Francis (D. Bisset, 76′), Z. Atkinson (K. Russell, 80′) M. Fitzpatrick

Unused substitutes: M. Brown, S. Robson

Man of the match Alex Francis spoke to Whickham FC reporter, Ben Robinson after the game:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *