West Allotment Celtic 1-2 Whickham: 10-men Lang Jacks grind out first win since August

Whickham defeat bottom of the table West Allotment Celtic following heavy second-half pressure from the hosts.

Zak Atkinson put the visitors ahead after 17 minutes, netting his third goal of the season from way outside the area.

Ross Peareth was then shown a straight red card for a misjudged challenge early in the second-half.

Despite dominance from the home side, Declan Bisset netted the next goal of the game all but sealing the three points.

The home side hit a late consolation with substitute Michael Trodd hammering a long distance effort into the net off the post.

Coming into the game Whickham have not won a game since August, but the newly promoted side sit bottom without winning a league game so far this season.

Mark Convery’s side started the match strong, with Atkinson sliding the ball just wide of the post from a difficult angle after five minutes.

Celtic hit back quickly and two minutes later struck the inside of the post from outside the box, coming agonisingly close to equalise.

Following that chance, the Lang Jacks failed to clear their lines leading to a chance for Matthew Hayton who smashed a powerful effort goalwards but James Anderson was equal to the effort to push the shot away.

Atkinson was once again released in behind the West Allotment backline courtesy of a pass from Flynn Martindale, where the forward curled the ball around the onrushing goalkeeper from near 25-yards out, rolling the ball into the empty net after 17 minutes.

Similar to Atkinson’s earlier chance, Scott Robson was found in the same position inside the area on the right-hand side after several Whickham players won 50/50 battles, but once again the chance came and went with the shot travelling just past the post.

Near the hour mark, Peareth was then sent off when the ball bounced past the captain whilst he attempted to win the ball which was deemed as a straight red card for a high tackle.

20 minutes of intense pressure followed after the Glebemen went down to 10-men, with Anderson facing many shots in the Whickham goal after the home side hit the post again, a zipped free-kick then forced a smart save from the ‘keeper after 74 minutes.

Six minutes later the Newcastle-based side struck the crossbar from just inside the box before a collision between Anderson and a West Allotment player gave the visitors a breather.

Shortly after, Whickham doubled their advantage when Martindale burst down the line and firing a cross into the area, where Atkinson composed himself, laying the ball back to Bisset who tapped the ball home.

The Green & White’s pulled a goal back in injury time when substitute defender, Michael Trodd fired the ball in off the post from 30-yards out but they could not quite muster up an equaliser in the time left.

Starting XI: J. Anderson, T. Howard, G. Priest, M. Hoganson, B. Milburn, R. Peareth, D. Burrell, F. Martindale (K. Russell, 88′), J. Robson (D. Bisset, 76′), S. Robson, Z. Atkinson (M. Fitzpatrick, 90′)

Unused substitutes: A. Dixon, S. Bowey

Man of the match was awarded to James Anderson following some great stops in an intense period of the game and he spoke to Ben Robinson after the match:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *