Match report: Whickham 0-2 Ryhope CW

Mark Convery’s last game in charge of Whickham saw the team finish with 10 men for the second consecutive game after being beaten by Sunderland Ryhope CW at The First Mortgage Glebe, writes ADAM TONES.

Two second half goals for Ryhope from Karl Southern and a 12th of the season for James Ellis sent the visitors home with all three points.

The home team controlled the first half and created a handful of chances – Scott Robson’s shot from
outside of the area whistled wide of the post as did Conor Newton’s half volley minutes later.

Scott Robson went close for Whickham in the first half. Pic courtesy of Ken Fitzpatrick.

Halfway through the first half James Winter’s quick reactions denied Robson’s header from a Mark
Flizpatrick cross on the left hand side.

However Whickham had goalkeeper James Anderson to thank after making a brilliant double save
minutes before half time keeping the teams level at the break.

The Lang Jacks played the first five minutes of the second half with 10 men after Newton was sin
binned on 40 minutes.

The deadlock was broken on 62 minutes after a deflected cross from the left hit the crossbar and fell
kindly for Southern to head home.

Ryhope controlled the remaining half an hour, forcing Anderson into another close-range save from
Robbie Bird before getting finger tips to the second forcing a corner on 72 minutes.

The away team sealed all three points eight minutes from time after Ben Milburn was judged to
have got the wrong side of Ellis inside of the box.

A straight red card followed and Ellis made no mistake from 12 yards out, slotting the ball hard and
low into Anderson’s right hand corner.

James Ellis scores from the spot for Ryhope. Pic: Ken Fitzpatrick.

Less than 24 hours after the full time whistle Whickham parted company with manager
by mutual consent after a disappointing run of results.

Starting XI: J. Anderson, T. Howard, G. Priest, F. Martindale (A. Francis 62’), B. Milburn,
M. Hoganson, S Robson, D. Burrell ©, M. Flitzpatrick, C. Newton, D. Bisset (K. Russell 75’)
Subs not used: K. Galbraith, J. Robson, S. Bowey

Referee: Derric Wade

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *