Classy Lang Jacks produce controlled performance to claim victory 

Whickham produced a dominant display to take all three points at the First Mortgage Glebe on Tuesday evening. 

Defender George Priest got the hosts on their way after just eleven minutes before Nathan Greenwood scored a brace to complete the scoring for the home team.

Crook pulled one back five minutes into the second half after an error at the back gifted the visitors a goal. 

Whickham started the match the brighter of the two teams and created several chances through winger Greenwood.

The first came after just eight minutes when Young found Greenwood down the left, the winger cut inside and danced past two Crook players but his tame effort didn’t challenge the Crook goalkeeper. 

A few minutes later the hosts took the lead through Priest, again out on the left-hand side the defender played a one-two with Greenwood before hammering the ball hard and low past Makepeace to open the scoring.

Greenwood was causing havoc down the left-hand side, this time the winger beat his man for pace before delivering an inch-perfect cross for Harry Yoxall at the far post only for the defender to poke the ball straight into the arms of Makepeace from close range.

The away team went up the other end minutes last and almost grabbed an equaliser against the run of play.

After cutting in from the right the Crook midfielder glided past two Whickham defenders only to be denied by a brilliant stop from Nathan Harker. 

The Whickham goalkeeper was down quickly to deny what looked like a certain goal.  

Kaleb Young looked lively all game and stung Makepeace’s gloves from 25 yards. The goalkeeper tipped Young’s looping effort over the bar to keep the score at 1-0. 

Greenwood finally got his name on the scoresheet after 29 minutes. The winger cooly skipped past a couple of Crook defenders before curling his shot into Makepeace’s far post. 

Whickham started the second half like they finished the first and notched their third of the night through Greenwood. 

Young’s in swinging corner almost found the boot of Kieran Galbraith but Makepeace was alert to make an important stop. 

However, the ball wasn’t fully cleared by Crook and Ross Peareth’s deflected shot fell nicely on the edge of the box for Greenwood to volley first time into the roof of the net.

The Lang Jacks were left kicking themselves only minutes later when Harker miss-timed a routine catch to gift Crook a goal back.

Young then chanced his luck again from 25 yards out on the hour mark but Makepeace again was in the right place to tip the ball over for a corner.

Dale Burrell was next to have a go, but his header didn’t quite have the power to beat Makepeace after a delightful ball over the top by Young. 

Crook kept pushing and almost had a second of the match four minutes from time, but Burrell was there to clear the ball off the line. 

Tony Fawcett’s team remained resilient in the final couple of minutes to see the game out and claim an important victory.  

Whickham team: Harker, Yoxall, Priest (Moody 88’), Burrell, Galbraith (Howard 54’), Agnew, Young, Peareth, Smith, Greenwood, Richardson (Jasper 64’). 

Subs not used: Lizinde, Hall. 

Goalscorers: Priest 11’, Greenwood 29’, 49’

Man of the Match: Nathan Greenwood

Referee: David Carr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *