Lang Jacks get the job Dunn from the spot

Whickham maintained their fine start to the season with a victory away to Heaton Stannington on Friday evening. 

Inside a packed Grounsell Park, the Lang Jack fought hard and remained resilient at the back to claim all three points thanks to a Jamie Dunn penalty inside the final 20 minutes. 

The visitors had most of the possession in the early stages with Scott Robson forcing Tom Flynn into the game’s first save after getting on the end of a Dunn cross after six minutes.

Whickham midfielder Shay Richardson was next to have an attempt but his shot inside the box flew over Flynn’s crossbar. 

Joey Smith’s curling attempt on 14 minutes forced Flynn into a neat save after picking up a smart one-two with Ross Peareth.

After a nervous opening 20 minutes, the hosts started to get a foothold on the game and almost took the lead through Louis Anderson. 

The Stan striker went through on goal, but Nathan Harker was down quickly to smother Anderson’s shot and keep the scores level.

After a ball over the top caught the Whickham defence napping, the home team created another opportunity out of nothing, but Harker was well positioned to pull off a save. 

The host’s confidence was growing, and Harker had to be alert again to pull off a great save to deny the home team the opening goal. 

With just five minutes of the first half remaining, Harry Yoxall read the play intelligently to intercept a loose pass before striding forward and picking out Scott Robson inside the box. 

Robson created space but his header failed to test Flynn in the Stan goal. 

The second half started with the home team pressing but failed to capitalise on their chances. 

Firstly, an unmarked Stan forward headed over from five yards out, and only a couple of minutes later the goal was gapping again but the home team failed to force Harker into a save. 

The visitor’s defence remained resolute throughout the match defending in their numbers. 

As Heaton Stannington pushed forward Nathan Greenwood intercepted the ball inside his own half before sending Scott Robson through on goal. 

The striker tried to round Flynn, but the Stan goalkeeper brought Robson down inside the box to gift the visitors a stone wall penalty. 

Dunn stepped up from 12 yards out and made no mistake firing past Flynn and giving the Lang Jacks the lead on 72 minutes.

The home team pushed for an equaliser but failed to force Harker into a save as the Whickham defence remained strong and cleared the danger.

Whickham caught the host on the counterattack and almost doubled their lead with only a couple of minutes remaining when Mitchell Ramsay spun on the edge of the box but his shot clipped Flynn’s crossbar. 

Tony Fawcett’s team retained their 100% winning start to the season as well as claiming a third consecutive clean sheet away from home.

Whickham team: Harker, Below (Jasper 67’), Galbraith (Howard 46’), Yoxall, Dunn, Smith (Ramsay 46’) , Peareth ©, Richardson, Young, Greenwood, Scott Robson (Priest 87’)

Subs not used: Hall. 

Goalscorer: J. Dunn 72’ (Pen)

Man of the Match: Nathan Harker. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *