Lacklustre Lang Jacks fall to home defeat

Full Time: Whickham FC 1-3 Newcastle Benfield

Whickham suffered their second defeat of the season at the hands of Newcastle Benfield on Tuesday night at the Glebe. WRITES CHRIS MILLS.

The visitors took control in the first half with goals from Ben Dibb-Fuller and Paul Brayson to lead at the break.

A Newcastle Benfield own goal brought us back into the game in the second half but Cameron Gascoigne scored shortly after to wrap the game up.

Despite defeat, the result sees Whickham remain 5th in the league with games in hand on some above them.

The Lions started the game brightly as within three minutes Brayson set up Dibb-Fuller who fired wide from a tight angle.

Four minutes later they took the lead as a quick long throw from Nick Green played in Thomas who slid the ball to Dibb-Fuller who tapped in.

The lead was doubled after a quarter of an hour after Nathan Harker made an initial good stop but the rebound fell to Paul Brayson who couldn’t miss.

The Lang Jacks then got going as a Kaleb Young corner found a leaping Dale Burrell who cannoned a free header just wide.

The game then picked up pace and tenacity and another Young corner found a Whickham player free, but Stephen Hall had his header cleared off the line.

After the break The Lang Jacks started brightly as Scott Robson was played in behind but his low and hard shot was smartly stopped by Andrew Grainger.

A goal was pulled back five minutes later in bizarre circumstances as Dom Agnew’s shot was deflected goalbound but deliberately handled on the line. The goal was allowed to stand and the Benfield player was booked for his attempted save.

Cameron Gascoigne was set up by Brayson 10 minutes later to kill the game as his finish went through the legs of Harker.

With five minutes left there was almost a bizarre fourth as Dale Burrell attempted to play a long ball which was blocked by Thomas and it almost caught Harker off baird however he managed to tip it over.

In added time Scott Robson had the ball in the area and was able to get a shot off but it was saved by the legs of Grainger.

Whickham Team: Harker, Howard, Priest, Burrell (C), Agnew, Richardson, Hall (Jasper 70’), Young (Garside 75′), Scott Robson, Greenwood, Smith.

Unused Substitutes: Below, Moody.

Referee: Richard Graham

Goalscorer: Own Goal.

Man of the Match: Joey Smith

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *