Clinical second-half display seals all three points for the Lang Jacks

Full Time: Whickham FC 3-1 West Allotment Celtic

Whickham produced a brilliant second-half performance to clinch all three points against West Allotment Celtic at the First Mortgage Glebe. WRITES ADAM TONES.

Before the match kicked off the teams walked out to the national anthem and a minute’s silence was observed by both clubs to pay their respect to the late Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

After a goalless first half, Scott Robson broke the deadlock twelve minutes after the break before substitutes Jamie Dunn and Nathan Greenwood wrapped up the scoring. 

Lucas Lowery-Motondo scored a late consolation goal for the visitors with the last kick of the game.

West Allotment almost opened the scoring within the first couple of minutes but their header from close range was off target. 

In a scrappy first half of few clear-cut chances, Harry Yoxall came closest to giving the home team the lead. 

Scott Robson chased down a loose ball before finding an advancing Joey Smith inside the visitor’s box. 

Smith cleverly pulled the ball back for an on-running Yoxall, but the defender side-footed the ball wide of Daniel Gladstone’s far post. 

The final chance of the first half fell to Shay Richardson, the midfielder neatly combined with Kaleb Young and Smith before firing his shot from the edge of the box straight at Gladstone. 

Whickham started the second half in a confident fashion and almost took the lead through substitute Dunn. 

The defender was provided with a great opportunity from only four yards out to open the scoring, but Dunn’s header went wide of Gladstone’s near post. 

Only a few minutes later and Dunn jumped highest to head across goal, but Robson was unable to direct the ball goalbound before trickling inches wide of Gladstone’s far post. 

Whickham finally opened the scoring through Scott Robson, the striker controlling a Tom Howard cross before taking his time and firing past Gladstone from 10 yards out. 

The hosts were left frustrated as they pressed for a second but were unable to muster up any clear-cut opportunities in the final third with the visitors defending resolutely. 

Finally, with less than 20 minutes left on the clock defender Jamie Dunn doubled Whickham’s lead. 

Kaleb Young started the move quickly switching the ball onto his left foot before delivering an inch-perfect cross into Robson who was standing centre of Gladstone’s goal. 

Robson scuffed his first shot before Gladstone made himself big to deny Robson’s second time around. 

The ball rebounded to Robson for the third time, and the striker’s effort fell perfectly into the path of Dunn from two yards out to prod home and double his team’s advantage. 

The Lang Jacks wrapped up all three points six minutes from time when fellow substitute Greenwood picked up a loose ball and calmly slotted it low and hard past Gladstone. 

The visitors never give up and grabbed themselves a consolation goal with the final kick of the match. 

Guy Bates got past his man and teed up Lowery-Motondo from two yards out to end the host’s chances of keeping a clean sheet.  

The action continued after the final whistle, referee Jonathan Schofield handed red cards to West Allotment captain Michael Scott and goalscorer Lowery-Motondo for dissent. 

Tony Fawcett’s team deserved all three points after a spirited second-half display ending their losing run and getting back to winning ways. 

Whickham Team: Harker, Howard (Lizinde 87’), Garside, Burrell, Agnew (Dunn 45’), Moody (Priest 83’), Yoxall, Richardson, Young, Smith, S. Robson (Greenwood 83’)

Subs unused: Jasper.

Goalscorers: S. Robson 57’, Dunn 74’, Greenwood 83’

Referee: Jonathan Schofield

Man of the Match: Scott Robson.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *