Lang Jacks edged out in Yorkshire

Northallerton Town 2-1 Whickham

Whickham were just edged out on their trip to North Yorkshire as they were beaten 2-1 by Northallerton.

The hosts scored their two goals in the first half through Matthew Waters and Charlie Graham.

Whickham pulled one back in the second half after Scott Robson’s strike.

The game started slowly with both teams failing to create anything of substance.

Northallerton took the lead just after the 20 minute mark after Ethan Henderson went on a good run and set up Matthew Waters who struck and forced a good save from Nathan Harker, but was first to the rebound and rolled it into the net.

The lead was doubled four minutes later after David Parker sent in a free kick from 50 yards and Charlie Graham glanced a header in unchallenged.

Whickham had their best and only chance of the half on the stroke of half time as Graham failed to control a high ball in the box, and Scott Robson pounced but his shot was saved from 8 yards by Ryan Catterick.

Whickham came out for the second half with a higher intensity with Jamie Dunn playing more centrally and Clayton Davis playing in a more advanced role.

A ball into the box was forced down by Dom Agnew which fell perfectly for Dale Burrell but he thundered his shot wide from six yards.

Moments later our goal came as Robson controlled a long ball forwards and took aim from the edge of the “D”, in which his shot deflected too high for the goalkeeper to adjust and nestled into the top of the net.

With 10 minutes to go, Harker made a vital stop to keep Whickham hopes alive as substitute John Howard hit a shot which forced him down sharply to his right from a narrow angle.

The Lang Jacks pushed and pushed for the equalizer and the chance came with almost the last kick of the game in the 95th minute.

New signing James McGeorge floated in a corner which wasn’t cleared and fell to Garon Garside who hit towards goal, and deflected onto the post.

Whickham Team: Harker, Davis, Garside, Burrell (Below 86’), Agnew, Dunn, Dibb-Fuller (McGeorge 76’), Richardson, Robson, Young (Howard 46’), Yoxall (Peareth 65’).

Unused sub: Page.

Referee: Patrick Laws

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *