Tom Romano winner sinks Ashington

Whickham stunned Ashington with a last-minute winner to claim victory at The Glebe on Tuesday night.

Karl Ross scored the only goal of the first half to give Ashington a half time lead.

The second half saw Scott Robson and Tom Romano score before Scott Heslop equalised, but then Romano scored the winner at the death.

Whickham move into sixth in the league whilst Ashington remain three points off top spot.

A lively encounter got off to a quick start as Lewis Suddick found himself with a big chance two minutes in, but his shot was blocked by the onrushing Nick Liversedge who made himself big.

The Colliers continued their quick start as a few minutes later Heslop hit a powerful strike from 15 yards which whizzed across Liversedge’s right hand post.

On the quarter of an hour mark, Ashington came even closer as Heslop met a Lewis Green cross with his head and shook the woodwork.

Heslop continued his defiant search for the opener and 10 minutes later tried from 25 yards but his shot was met by an athletic Liversedge save down to his right to deny him.

The Lang Jacks finally got a foothold in the game as just before the half hour mark Romano carried the ball at a lightning speed towards goal, but his shot was blocked by the recovering Robbie Dale.

The first goal arrived minutes later as a game of pinball broke out in the box and the ball fell to Karl Ross who dragged his shot into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes into the second half Whickham equalised through Tom Romano – the new signing managed to keep the ball in play on the byline and then skilfully beat Darren Lough before placing the finish between the legs of Karl Drydon.

The Whickham onslaught was underway and four minutes later Shay Richardson picked up a loose ball from a corner and took aim at the near post but Drydon was equal to it.

Romano and Robson combined once more soon after as the former robbed the ball off Dale and squared it across the penalty area to Robson but his shot went comfortably over the bar.

On the hour mark Ashington almost took the lead as Ben Harmison used some wonderful technique to volley the ball on the edge of the box but it went narrowly over the bar with Liversedge rooted to the spot.

10 minutes later Whickham were once again first to the second ball from a corner, and this time it was Ross Peareth who took aim but his strike just curled past the far post.

It was 20 minutes from time when Whickham got ahead as Robson ran from inside his own half to get on the end of a long ball which he carried to the edge of the box before lobbing Drydon as he went to the ground.

Minutes later Heslop got his long-awaited goal and his side’s equaliser as he struck a timely finish into the corner of the goal.

The following 10 minutes consisted of both teams pushing for a winner in what made for an entertaining watch.

The winner was found in the 92nd minute by Romano as he volleyed in at the back post from a Robson cross and sent The Glebe into jubilation as he gave Whickham all three points.

Whickham XI: Liversedge, Howard, Dunn, Burrell, Agnew, Yoxall, Richardson, Peareth ©, S.Robson, Romano, Turner (Nelson 82).

Unused sub(s): Garside, Cleugh, Knox, Lizinde.

Referee: Charlie Ford

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *