Friday night FA Cup delight

Whickham 2-1 Carlisle City

Whickham continued their fantastic home form into the new season with an FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round victory against Carlisle City.

A first half Josh Simpson own goal and an added time strike from Tom Romano ensured a seventh win in eight games at The First Mortgage Glebe.

Jordan Holt halved the deficit with one of the last kicks of the game but it wasn’t enough for the visitors.

The opening stages saw both teams battle a torrential downpour in which no chances of substance were created.

After 20 minutes The Lang Jacks took the lead as Callum Munro drove from the halfway line on a counter attack, beating Adam Gordon in his path, before crossing across goal looking for Callum Patton but Josh Simpson intercepted and bundled the ball into his own net.

18-year-old Sam Johnson, on his full debut, came close to doubling the lead before half-time as he took aim across goal but Scott Simons got down to save it.

Whickham continued to put on pressure into the second half which started with Tom Howard crossing to find Dan Marriott who laid off to Patton on the edge of the box but his low shot went just wide of the post.

On the hour mark Patton was involved again, this time the creator as he slotted through a wonderfully weighted pass to Marriott who had just the goalkeeper in front but his first time shot was saved by the legs of Simons.

10 minutes later Patton provided again as he crossed to Ryan Lincoln-Barrow, who was in an acre of space, but his shot was denied by the superb reflexes of Simons down to his left.

The visitors were never out of the game and minutes later a corner was played to Daniel Kirkup who was unmarked on the edge of the box, but his shot cleared the crossbar.

Tom Romano entered the pitch in the 90th minute and took just two minutes to score as he latched onto a ball in the right channel, beat Jack Dickinson with ease and slotted the ball through the legs of Simons.

The visitors scored soon after at the death of additional time as a long free kick caused problems in the Whickham box and Jordan Holt got a flick to guide the ball into the net.

A Preliminary Round tie against Whitley Bay awaits, which will be played at The First Mortgage Glebe.

Whickham XI: Bussey; Howard, Burrell ©, Agnew, Charlton; Yoxall (Lincoln-Barrow 48’), Richardson, Callum Patton (Romano 90’); Johnson (Field 65’), Marriott, Munro.

Unused sub(s): Cairns, Robbins, Horsfall, Jack Robson.

Man of the Match: Callum Munro

Referee: Joel Tilmouth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *