Late drama forces FA Cup replay

Whickham 1-1 Whitley Bay

Whickham survived a last minute penalty scare to force a replay in the FA Cup Preliminary Round against Whitley Bay.

The Lang Jacks took the lead in the first half via Callum Munro.

Whitley Bay equalised after the break thanks to Cameron Brewis.

The replay on Tuesday will be the third meeting between the two sides within 11 days.

Whickham started the encounter with high energy and Scott Robson closed down Bay goalkeeper Dan Lister on multiple occasions, almost proving successful with one attempt which ricocheted just wayward of the goal.

Lee Haldane’s side continued to push and after a quarter of an hour Ryan Lincoln-Barrow worked well with Dan Marriott down the left-hand side before the former got a shot off inside the box but it cannoned over.

The breakthrough came seven minutes before half time as Scott Robson carried the ball on the counter attack and fed through Callum Munro who created a yard of space and then fired into the near corner, leaving Lister standing still.

The visitors took control of the game after the break and came close just after half-time as Stephen Turnbull curled a free kick from 25 yards over the wall but Tom Dawson was equal to it making a fantastic save.

Two minutes later they found their equaliser after substitute Josh Gilchrist played in Cameron Brewis into the left-hand side of the box and he fired hard and low into the bottom corner across goal.

Whickham had their best chance of the half 12 minutes from time as Lincoln-Barrow, Marriott and Robson all combined before finding Sam Johnson who put Wayne Phillips on the floor and then fired across goal from a tight angle, narrowly going wide of the post. 

The drama arrived three minutes into added time as a black and white arm was struck inside the box trying to block a cross and the officials, after slight deliberation, awarded a spot kick.

Dale Burrell was sent off for his complaints and received a second yellow card.

Substitute Mark Davison stepped up and fired down the middle in unorthodox fashion to think he’d won the contest.

After complaints from the Whickham players the referee adjudged Davison had kicked it twice and ruled the goal out.

Whickham XI: Dawson; Johnson, Lincoln-Barrow, Burrell, Field (Stephenson 58’), Agnew; Richardson, Peareth ©; Robson, Munro, Marriott.

Unused subs: Cairns, Peart, L.Gamblin, Galbraith, Nash.

Man of the Match: Callum Munro

Referee: Mathew Davidson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *