Scott Robson Steals FA Vase Show Again

Whickham 4-2 Birtley Town

Whickham advanced through in the Isuzu FA Vase after beating Birtley Town 4-2 on Friday Night at the First Mortgage Glebe.

Scott Robson and Nathan Stephenson scored for The Lang Jacks in the first half with Glen Hargrave scoring in between.

Robson grabbed two more in the second half with former Whickham man Stephen Hall scoring for the visitors.

The victory sends us through to the First Round Proper which will be played in mid-october.

The fixture was entertaining from the off and it was Whickham who went close first, as Callum Munro flicked a header onto Robson who was in-behind and struck from the edge of the box but his shot flashed by the far post.

The Hoops had the first of a flurry of chances a few minutes later as Glen Hargrave met a cross and glanced a header just wide of the far post.

Two minutes later they came closer as Hargrave was involved again, this time striking with his feet from close distance but Tom Dawson made himself big and blocked the shot.

Whickham took the lead after a quarter of an hour from the spot as Robson was fouled by one of many legs in his way as he made his way into the box.

He stepped up and placed the ball straight down the middle to open his account for the evening.

Birtley responded almost instantly via Glen Hargrave who made the most of a free header as he met Callum Smith’s free kick.

Another chance went begging for Birtley six minutes later as Stephen Hall found himself six yards out from goal and under no pressure but his tame strike hit the post.

We took the lead just before half-time as Nathan Stephenson received the ball inside the box and struck a first time curling shot away from Alfie Gordon, into the corner of the net.

The lead was doubled on the other side of the break as Scott Robson caused more problems in behind the Birtley back line and goalkeeper Gordon was caught in two minds, allowing our number 9 to get his second of the evening.

Birtley once again managed to get back into the game after a defensive mix-up from a ball back to Tom Dawson, which allowed Smith in behind who found Stephen Hall who fired into the empty net.

Fifteen minutes from time the game was wrapped up as Scott Robson was clattered by Birtley ‘keeper Gordon inside the penalty area.

Robson stepped up again and dispatched into the bottom corner to get his second consecutive FA Vase hat-trick.

The drama continued in the dying embers with Shay Richardson being sent of a second yellow card and then Alfie Gordon was sin-binned for dissent meaning right-back Owen Lancaster had to take the gloves.

Whickham XI: Dawson; Howard, Burrell, Lincoln-Barrow, Agnew, Charlton (Romano 77’); Stephenson (Peareth 81’), Richardson, Jenson (Yoxall 69’); Robson, Munro.

Unused subs: Johnson, Steavens, Field, Irons.

Man of the Match: Scott Robson

Referee: Matthew Davidson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *