Lang Jacks Return To Action With A Defeat

Written by Freddie Armstrong

After cancelled games, Christmas and New year celebrations, Whickham started their 2024 by hosting league leaders Bishop Auckland and fell to a 3-1 defeat to The Bishops.

Whickham come into this with a spot in the DCC semi final, FA Vase 4th round tie against Blyth Town and also sit 15th in the league after 15 games played.

The opening 10 minutes of Whickhams first game of 2024 was quite a cagey affair with not much happening for either side.

In the 16th minute Bishop Auckland fired ahead by their number 15 Marcus Giles as he cut inside from the left wing and fired low and hard to the near post.

No chances came until the 30th and 33rd minute where the ball fell twice to Scotty Robson who fired wide and also a great save made by Bishops keeper Adam Lincoln.

The 4th official added an extra 2 minutes to the first half, and in the 2nd minute of the added time The Bishops added to their lead as their number nine Louis Johnson fired one into the top corner to make it 2-0.

The opening 15 minutes of the first didn’t offer much with little chances falling to either side.

In the 60th minute though the visitors added pressure onto Whickham as they looked to add a third, a cross to the goalscorer Johnson hit the post and looked to have trickled in but was saved on the line by Dan lister in net for Whickham.

13 minutes later Whickham made 2 changes seeing Scott Robson make way after picking up an injury and also Jordan Lavery and Charlie Aitkin and Sam Johnson replaced them.

With only 5 minutes left on the clock, a third came for The Bishops after having piling on the pressure, Liam Henderson was the man to give them their third after the ball ricocheted off the defender and striker to make the scoreline 3-0.

In the 89th minute Dale Burrell committed a late time challenge on Johnson which resulted in a yellow card for the skipper.

Whickham did manage to get what would be a consolation goal as Declan Bisset curled a freekick into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

A disappointing evening for whickham a one they will look to forget as they turn their attention to their FA Vase tie against Blyth Town on Saturday.

Whickham XI: Lister, Munro, Agnew, Burrell, Galbraith, Field (Bisset 81’), Sayer, Howard, Robson (Lavery 73’), Thomas, Aitkin (Johnson 73’).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *