Billingham Town vs Whickham Football Club



Lee McAndrew and Tom Scothern scored for the second consecutive match as Whickham extended their unbeaten league run to four games after a 4-2 win against Billingham Town.

The Lang Jacks scored two goals within the space of a minute in the first-half with Damien Stevens and Scott McCarthy on target around the half-hour mark.

The home side fought back though and levelled the game through Luke Hogan and Chris Dickinson, who both scored with eight minutes to play in the half.

McCarthy was fouled in the penalty area on 42 minutes and McAndrew fired home the spot-kick to put the hosts ahead at half-time.

Whickham doubled their lead in the second-half when Scothern curled home and comfortably negotiated the final half-hour to secure an important three points.

Manager Mark Convery made one change to the team that drew 2-2 with Ryhope CW, with McCarthy coming into the starting line-up for Kyle Downey.

It was the visitors that started brightly and after McCarthy flashed a dangerous cross across the six-yard box, they went close on 13 minutes.

Scothern handed the ball inside to Jack Robson, who drove past three challenges in the area, staying up on his feet despite contact, before striking narrowly wide.

The home side went to the other end and went close themselves. Dickinson’s free-kick was headed down, but James Frazer couldn’t keep his effort down.

The woodwork come to Whickham’s rescue on 21 minutes. Lee Moore found the overlapping Daniel Flounders down the left, who drove inside and had his cross deflected onto the post by Dale Burrell.

Dickinson and Burrell exchanged chances through the middle stages of the first-half, while Damien Stevens drew a terrific save out of Lewis McDonald.

The Lang Jacks weren’t to be denied with their next effort through. Peareth’s effort deflected up onto the bar, but Stevens reacted quickly to fire the rebound home.

Whickham quickly doubled their lead in the game, under a minute later. McCarthy picked up the ball down the right, drove into the penalty area and fired home through the legs of the defender.

Billy Town pulled a goal back just four minutes later. Dickinson beat the approaching Dan Staples to the ball, striking over the ‘keeper and Hogan followed up to head home.

The game was level three minutes later, to Whickham’s disbelief, as Dickinson produced a composed finish inside the penalty area.

Convery’s men had the perfect opportunity to restore their lead just three minutes before half-time, when McCarthy was brought down by Reece Kenney in the area.

McAndrew, just like he did against Ryhope on Wednesday evening, stepped up and found the back of the net from the penalty spot.

On the stroke of half-time, the crossbar come to Whickham’s rescue as Dickinson’s effort hit the underside of the woodwork, bounced near the goalline and was then scrambled clear.

The Lang Jacks went close to scoring a fourth goal just four minutes after the restart, but Peareth’s header looped up and was caught by McDonald.

It wasn’t until the 61st-minute when either side managed to create another opening, but it was a key moment as Whickham doubled their advantage once again.

Conor Newton dribbled past two players before handing the ball to Scothern on the edge of the area and the young midfielder curled delightfully into the corner of the net.

The Lang Jacks were comfortable and controlled the second-half, while also going incredibly close to wrapping up the points in the second-half.

A stray pass from the hosts was intercepted on 82 minutes by Robson, who droves forward and struck narrowly wide of the post.

Robson had another chance, three minutes later, but after twisting and turning on the edge of the penalty area, he was denied by the legs of the ‘keeper.

Nevertheless, it was a second-half that was negotiated well by the visitors, who are next in action at home to Northallerton Town next Saturday afternoon.

Billingham Town: McDonald, Moore, Dixon, Connor, Summers (Wilson, 90), Frazer, Flounders, Kenney (Osmund, 46), Dickinson, Lavan, Hogan (Joynes, 78)

Subs Not Used: Bell, Morrison

Whickham: Staples, McAndrew (Cranston, 84), Exley, Peareth, Galbraith, Burrell, McCarthy (Howard, 46), Scothern, Stevens (Doyle, 66), Newton, Robson

Subs Not Used: Burn, Collins

Goals: 0-1, 29 min, Stevens; 0-2, 30 min, McCarthy; 1-2, 34 min, Hogan; 2-2, 37 min, Dickinson; 2-3, 42 min, McAndrew (Pen); 2-4, 61 min, Scothern

Referee: Craig Dean

Assistants: John Davison and Josh Gordon

Attendance: 142

Photo: Will Matthews


Date Time League Season
March 7, 2020 3:00 pm Northern League Division One 2019-2020


Bedford Terrace


Billingham Town2
Whickham Football Club4
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.