Seaham Red Star vs Whickham Football Club



Mark Convery started his reign as manager with a defeat as Whickham conceded a late goal against Seaham Red Star in a 2-1 defeat at the Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium.

After a fairly even half-hour, the Star took the lead when a cross was missed by the ‘keeper and was inadvertently turned home by Kieran Galbraith.

The Lang Jacks won a penalty when Scott Robson was brought down and Jamie Start stepped up and dispatched the spot-kick to level the game.

Ross Peareth was sent off for a second bookable offence on 72 minutes and Jaden Cahill-Taylor scored the winner for the Star 10 minutes later.

Whickham have lost three times this season against Seaham, including both games in the league, and have a double-header at home next week against Sunderland RCA and Whitley Bay.

Convery handed a debut to striker Statt for the game against Seaham and it was the home side that went close to opening the scoring on nine minutes.

After Galbraith made a brave block to deny Dan Wilson, David Robinson headed over Sean McRoberts’ cross.

Statt and Dale Burrell struck off target inside the first 26 minutes of the game, but the hosts broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

A cross from the right caused Jack Wilson trouble, with the ‘keeper missing the ball, which came off the back of Galbraith and went into the net.

Both sides created an opening in the closing stages of the first-half. Charlie Exley’s free-kick was glanced wide by Galbraith before Robinson volleyed just over the bar.

Three minutes into the second-half, Convery was forced into making a substitution as the injured Jonny Burn was replaced by Tom Scothern.

The Lang Jacks were awarded a penalty on 56 minutes when Robson turned away from goal, knocked the ball past the defender and went down under contact.

Statt, who was making his debut for the visitors, stepped up confidently and whipped the penalty into the top corner.

Whickham continued to control the second-half and should’ve went ahead just after the hour mark.

A long ball forward was headed on to Scott Robson, who was through on goal, but struck straight at Chris Bannon and Statt’s rebound was blocked in the six-yard box.

The Lang Jacks were reduced to 10-men 18 minutes before the end after Peareth was shown his second yellow card of the game.

Jayden Cahill-Taylor had only been on the pitch two minutes and almost made an immediate impact. His cross was headed over the bar by Wilson.

The substitute put the Star back ahead after a well-worked move forward. A long ball was flicked on and found the unmarked Cahill-Taylor, who prodded the ball home.

Cahill-Taylor almost turned provider on 87 minutes when he whipped a cross, straight across the six-yard box, and Richard Coulson was unable to turn the ball home.

Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Young, Hailes, Henderson, Myers, Tumilty (Taylor, 82), McRoberts (Cahill-Taylor, 77), Gardiner, Wilson, Robinson, Coulson

Substitutes: Dart, Waite, Weldon

Whickham: Wilson, Burn (Scothern, 48), Exley, Peareth, Galbraith, Lindo, McAndrew, Burrell, Statt, Newton, Robson

Subs Not Used: Cranston, Cowburn, Stevens, Bowey

Goals: 1-0, 30 min, Galbraith (O/G); 1-1, 57 min, Statt (Pen); 2-1, 82 min, Cahill-Taylor

Referee: Chris Keightley

Assistants: Matthew Smith and Thomas Bainbridge


Date Time League Season
February 8, 2020 3:00 pm Northern League Division One 2019-2020


The Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium


Seaham Red Star2
Whickham Football Club1
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 48 FT
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.